Sunday, April 11, 2010

Reunited with Equinox.

Last year I became a member of the West Hollywood Equinox fitness club. I always liked it, but due to my busy schedule and the mom factor I just did not go enough for me to justify paying almost $150 per month for the membership. So after I moved to a bigger apartment and endured a $500 per month rent increase - I decided to give up the Equinox membership. I told myself that I could settle with 24 Hour Fitness or LA Fitness and get my quick work outs there during my lunch hour or something. However, after my Equinox experience I had an extremely difficult time dealing with the lower level gyms. 24 Hour Fitness seemed dirty and depressing and had the opposite affect on my desire to work out. I cringed at the thought of going there. I didn't even make it inside LA Fitness due to the heavy pressure I received from the sales people on the phone. (They would call me at all hours during the night to try and pressure me into buying a membership.) Further, after spending some time on one of my favorite websites ("Yelp. com"), and saw how many people hated 24 Hour Fitness and how many people got screwed financially from LA Fitness, the thought of rejoining Equinox entered my mind. Then, behold, I got a beloved email from the Equinox manager offering a great deal to rejoin without having to pay the hefty initiation fee plus one month free. I couldn't resist.

I justify paying the high monthly price like this: I am a single mom and therefore have given up the social life I used to enjoy. $145 can easily be spent in one night out in LA on drinks and dinner - so instead I am spending that for one month of health management, and it's important to keep healthy as I have a responsibility as a mom to be healthy and happy not only for myself but for my daughter. So, I told myself that this time around, I need to be fully involved and do more than just jog on the treadmill and people watch. Equinox also offers great classes at no extra cost, so I am indulging on all it has to offer.

First, I decided to take "Yoga Basics," because I have heard all about the therapeutic benefits in addition to the physical benefits that derive from Yoga. The class was being held in the spa area, which is nice. As I entered the dark room, the heat hit me like a ton of bricks. Not sure, but I suspect they purposefully keep it hot so you it forces you to sweat and breathe heavy. That part I did not like. I am in pretty decent shape despite my laziness lately and also my late night ice cream indulgences, however I am NOT limber by any means. As we switched poses, my limbs would shake and overall I was pretty uncomfortable. At the end of the class though, I felt fully stretched and ready for a good run on the treadmill and some weight training and last but not least - I felt better than I did after therapy!

Today I am going to try "Studio Cycling." Let's see if I can keep up the pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment